Police are now considering whether to reopen a national alert system for the first time since the November 12 attack in which four people were killed.
The national alert, which was in place in December last year, had been extended by about four months to coincide with the Christmas period, but was not operational for the time being, according to a senior police source.
The alert is designed to detect and react to potential threats to public safety and public order.
The threat level was raised to “severe” in the wake of the attack, but police say they are now “concerned” about an “armed terrorist” armed with a “large amount of explosives”.
The alert level was originally set at “high” by the Garda Commissioner, but the level was dropped following the attack.
The alert level now stands at “serious”.
A spokesperson for the Gardai said: “The Garda is currently examining the alert level and will make a decision as to whether or not it should be reopened.”
It comes after Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said in the lead-up to the Christmas season that an attack on the Republic of Ireland would be a “top priority” for the country.
He said that while “we cannot be certain” that there will be an attack, it would be “a priority”.
“We have not yet identified an individual who is actively planning or planning to commit this crime,” he said.
“We know they are doing a lot of research about this particular crime and we will continue to work with them.”‘
I’m a little bit scared’It comes as gardaí continue to investigate the shooting death of a man who was found lying on a street corner in Cork, where a manhunt is underway for a second suspect.
The man was shot in the leg and the body found on a corner of Ballycraig Street on Friday afternoon, after he was shot while on foot in a residential area of the city.
The shooting happened just after 11pm on Friday, at the intersection of Bandon Street and Ballyshelagh Road, which has been cordoned off for a time as the investigation continues.
The victim was found laying in a public street with his leg broken, while the manhunt has since been expanded to cover the surrounding area.
Police are investigating the death of the man as a murder-suicide.
He was shot multiple times in the head, police have said.